Batting Frailties Cost Dear

It was a weekend of misery for Orrell’s first team as they crashed to two heavy defeats.

On Saturday, they welcomed second placed Rainford to Winstanley Road- a match which marked the start of the second half of the season.  Having lost the toss, skipper Andrew Mottram saw his team asked to bowl first on a sweltering day.  After a quick start from the Rainford openers, the Orrell bowling unit began to take wickets at regular intervals.   Despite catches again being spilled, Rainford were restricted to 176 all out in 53 overs. Joe Lyth was the pick of the bowlers with 3-27 with other wickets being taken by Ali Sartaj 3-46, Gareth Houghton 1-31 and Matt Morgan 1-7.

The Orrell reply was struck a major blow when both openers (Jake Brown and Andrew Mottram) were adjudged out to questionable decisions to leave the score 21-2.  The Orrell innings was then put under intense pressure by an excellent Rainford bowling display backed up by a very mobile fielding effort. Orrell never looked like reaching the victory target and wicket fell regularly. They were eventually bowled out for 84 in 36 overs.


On Sunday, the first team took part in the finals day of the Wigan Cricket Group T20 at Spring View CC.  Taking part in the first semi-final against Wigan CC, Orrell struck two quick blows to leave Wigan 2-2.. A Wigan recovery saw them post 121-7 in their 20 overs.  In reply, Orrell found themselves in deep trouble at 6-3.  Despite the best efforts of Andrew Mottram (28) Orrell succumbed to 82 all out in 16 overs.


Neither of Orrell’s second or third teams had matches this weekend. The second team match at Liverpool CC has had be rearranged due to the late move of a Lancashire CC one day match to the Liverpool ground.


A young Orrell 4th team were involved in a thriller in the West Lancashire Cricket League cup match against Tarleton at Winstanley Road.  The visitors posted 217 in their overs. The Orrell reply was built around 50’s from Mike Abbott and Ben Mahoney. With 4 required off the final ball, Dominic Lawton hit the ball out the boundary. The fielder was adjudged by the umpire to have fielded the ball inside the boundary rope and Tarleton emerged as victors.

%d bloggers like this: