As you might have spotted, 2017 has been a strong season on the pitch here at Orrell. The second team finished top of the tree in Division One; our first and third teams had strong showings in their respective divisions; the newly formed fourth team gained respect for their fair play and attitude to development in the West Lancs League and our junior section continued to go from strength to strength.
Off the pitch, things have been moving at pace as well. If you haven’t already seen the bar refurbishment then you’re in for a treat the next time you’re at club. There are further plans in place as well, so it’s a big thanks to everyone who helped promote our bid for funding from the Aviva Community fund (and fingers crossed for a successful outcome) which could form an important part of us improving the facilities at Winstanley Road.
It’s not all about us though and as the year draws to a close, we would like to thank everyone – friends, parents, players and members – who have donated and helped in our numerous charitable events this year.
- We raised over £1,600 for Make A Wish our nominated charity this summer, and sent a young Star Wars fan over to California to meet his heroes.
- In September Liz Brown organised a MacMillan coffee morning raising £1200 for the terminally ill.
- Last December Spencer organised a Christmas party for the young people of Orrell who are in difficult circumstances.
- In December this year Della Kirby organised a successful event for Save the Children.
- We have donated furniture to the British Heart Foundation, had collections for prostate cancer, and committed to the ideals of the YMCA.
Finally, we just wanted to take one last chance to say well done and thank you to all who were involved both on and off the pitch and to wish them and everyone in and around the club all the best for an even more prosperous 2017. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Watch this space for news about our nominated charity for 2018, with your help we can make a real difference in our community.