I Don’t Like to Be Beside the Seaside

Orrell Denied Victory at Prestatyn

Orrell’s first team just failed to secure a needed victory in their league match away at Prestatyn.  Captain, Andrew Mottram, won the toss and elected to bat first.  Mottram got off to a quick start displaying his trademark aesthetically pleasing groundshots either side of the wicket. Disaster struck when a mix up between Mottram and fellow opener, Matt Morgan, saw Mottram run out for 15 to make the score 18-1.  When Richard Everett fell to an excellent leg side catch by the home wicketkeeper to make the score 37-2, a partnership was needed to steady the Orrell ship.  A 58 run third wicket partnership between Morgan and Sam Heeley (23) achieved just that. When Morgan was out for a deserved 50 and Steve Unsworth followed for a quickfire 18, the Orrell innings looked in trouble at 127-5.  However, an excellent sixth wicket partnership between Sid Patel (46) and Matthew Kirby (31) saw the Orrell innings kick on and enabled Mottram to declare on 225-8 from 55 overs. The one downside was that a rain break of 20 minutes had taken 5-6 overs out of the game and that would prove crucial later.

With a large total to defend, the Orrell bowlers knew that the early dismissal of Prestatyn openers, Gareth Boughey and Ryan Westwell, would be key to enabling them to take all 10 wickets.  Boughey was duly dismissed cheaply due to an excellent catch at fine leg from Gareth Houghton off the bowling of Joe Lyth.  Unfortunately, Orrell then passed up a number of opportunities to dismiss Westwell as a number of catches were dropped.  Whilst Westwell was at the crease, the home side seemed confident of reaching the victory target.  The key moment came when Ali Sartaj dismissed Westwell (caught by Patel) to make the score 97-3.   After that, the match became all about whether Orrell could take the remaining 7 wickets in the time available. A flurry of wickets from Sartaj left the hosts 8 wickets down with 6 overs left.  However, a dogged ninth wicket partnership thwarted Orrell as the match finished in a draw as Orrell were left to rue only being able to bowl 46 overs in reply.   Sartaj finished with the exceptional figures of 7-29 from 17 overs- another brilliant performance from him. This was a good match played in a good spirit throughout.


On Sunday, Orrell’s first team played neighbours Highfield in the quarter finals of the Ray Tyler Cup.  Having won the toss, Orrell reached 171-9 in their 45 overs.  Sam Heeley top scored with 45 and there were other valuable contributions from Richard Everett (26) Joe Lyth (20) and Gareth Houghton (21 not out). After Houghton and Lyth had both taken a wicket each to dismiss the Highfield openers, the other bowlers were amongst the wickets as Highfield were 131 all out- a 40 run victory for Orrell.  Ali Sartaj took 4 wickets, Matt Morgan 2 and Harry Burrows 2. Special mention must go to Burrows and the Charlie Abbott for both bowling brilliant spells- great to see two homegrown juniors do so well.

This was Sam Heeley’s last match of the season due to his impending knee surgery.  The club would like to wish Sam well for his operation.  It is testimony to Sam’s character and commitment to the club that he has played this season when clearly in a great deal of pain. We cannot wait to have him back fully fit next season.


Orrell’s second lost their home match against Newton CC on Saturday.  After the visitors won the toss, Orrell made 196-6 declared in 52 overs. Newton reached the total to finish 197-4 in 40 overs. No other details are available as the time of writing this report.


Orrell’s third team visited neighbours Wigan on Sunday.  The hosts won the toss and chose to bat first.  Good batting by the Wigan top order allied to a poor bowling and fielding display by the Orrell team- a number of catches were spilled and far too many basic fielding errors- saw the Wigan total rattle along as the Wigan openers (Joe Burrows and Patrick Fairhurst) brought up a 150 run partnership. The introduction of the leg spin of Matthew Hayes saw a double breakthrough achieved for Orrell. When Hayes took a third wicket, it saw Orrell slow the Wigan scoring rate. However, some late innings hitting from Wigan’s Edwin Geary  saw the Wigan innings accelerate again as they finished 246-3 declared in 45 overs. Hayes was the pick of the Orrell bowlers with 3-34 and George Mushahwar was very unlucky not to take some wickets in a luckless spell of 10 overs.

In reply, Orrell’s openers Geof Burrows and George Mushahwar got the innings off to a string start.  However, when Mushahwar was out the victory total seemed a long way off. Geof Burrows received good support from Ben Mahoney (21) but when Mahoney was out to make the score 80-4 Wigan scented victory.  However, a fifth wicket partnership between Burrows and Hayes saw Burrows bring up a well-deserved 50. When Hayes was dismissed for a composed 25, the Orrell task of securing a draw was almost complete.  Despite a couple of crazy run outs late on, Orrell finished 146-8 from 45 overs to secure a draw after a poor bowling and fielding performance.


Orrell’s fourth team lost their West Lancashire League match at Haydock. Having won the toss, Orrell captain David Cheetham chose to bat.  Orrell were all out for 112 in 38.1 overs.  Cheetham top scoring with 39.  The lack of runs scored by the batters proved too much for the Orrell bowlers as the hosts finished 115-4 in 25.1 overs. Cheetham was the pick of the Orrell bowlers with 3-13 from 9 overs- a great all round effort by the captain.

%d bloggers like this: