Last Over Thriller for Orrell firsts


Orrell’s first team won a last over thriller against Newton Le Willows CC on Saturday.  Having won the toss, captain Andrew Mottram chose to bat first on what looked to be another top class wicket at Winstanley Road. Mottram was dismissed with the score on 8 and it took a second wicket partnership of 42 between Matthew Morgan and Richard Everett to steady the ship. When Morgan was out for 33, Everett failed to find the support from the rest of the Orrell batting line up that he required as a succession of batters failed to develop the promising starts they had made to their innings.

This meant that, whilst the scoreboard continued to tick over, wickets also fell at regular intervals. Everett was eventually out in the penultimate over of the Orrell innings for an excellent 77 with Orrell all out for 190 in 54.1 overs.  From an Orrell perspective, there was a feeling that the total was 25-30 runs light of what it should have been. That said, great credit must go to the 15 year old Newton off spinner, Joel Murnan, for an excellent 6-55.

When Gareth Houghton struck early to leave Newton 3-1, it seemed to put Orrell into the driving seat. However, whilst wickets were falling, the Orrell attack were unable to take the key wicket of Muhammad Iqbal.  Iqbal had timed the Newton run chase to perfection in the reverse fixture and looked to do so again as Newton moved from 104-6 to within 20 runs of victory with Orrell unable to take the two half chances given.  The reintroduction of Sid Patel achieved the key breakthrough for Orrell as he took a caught and bowled chance from Iqbal. When Houghton removed Jack Knowles (the other batter who has been set) then at 174-8 it looked like Orrell should prevail.

However, the Newton 9th wicket partnership of captain, Mike Walkden, and Dominic Chambers took Newton to within 3 runs of victory and the game was very much Newton’s to lose now. Amazingly, Patel had Chambers caught behind by Everett to leave the score 188-9 going into the last over of the match. A scrambled leg bye from the first ball saw Walkden back on strike and 2 required to win. 3 dot balls from Houghton saw 2 needed from 2 balls. On the penultimate ball of the match, Walkden attempted a big hit out towards cow corner. Mottram ran in downhill from the boundary to take a steepling catch and secure the victory for Orrell by 1 run in front of a large, appreciative crowd. Houghton finished with figures of 3-19, Patel 4-53. Morgan 2-29 and Ali Sartaj 1-39.

This was a fantastic game played in a great spirit that was a credit to both teams, their clubs and the Liverpool Competition.


On Sunday, the firsts teams Ray Tyler Cup final against Spring View was washed out. It will be replayed at Spring View next Sunday 10th September with a midday start.

Meanwhile, Orrell’s second team took a large step towards promotion with a draw away at similarly high flying Ainsdale. Having won the toss, captain Paul Mottram chose to field. Ainsdale amassed 200-9 declared from 44.4 overs. Steve Pegg was the pick of the Orrell bowlers with 4-21. At 79-5 the Orrell reply looked to be in trouble despite 23 from Jonathan Cooper. However, an unbeaten 46 from Mottram along with support from Martin James (33) and Lee Martinus (20) saw Orrell finish on 169-7 from 49 overs.


%d bloggers like this: